Sunday, May 27, 2007

Strawberry Letter 29


Dearest,

Some amputees deal with an ailment known as "phantom limb". They're so used to living with all of their parts that when one is taken away from them they continue to operate and act as if the piece was never gone, until they try to use the limb and find nothing. It can cause great shock and dispair and often delays the recovery of the patient as they continually have a hard time getting used to the absence over and over again.
I suppose I've been used to you being gone for some time now, that I live each day assuming that you are there with me. I feel just like everyone else and go about my daily tasks. Then I reach for you beside me at night and find nothing were I expected to feel your warm and familiar body. I think I'm over the initial shock of this occurance but hate to think that I'll ever fully recover to the notion of your absence. That I'm different from all of the others that have full use of all their parts, some of whom take it for granted. I could seek out a prosthetic but know that my body would reject something that didn't have you coursing through it. I'll continue to nurse this wound and hope that you're keeping yourself on ice until the time is just right for reattachment.

Love,
Me

No comments: